Posted by: Mandy | 2009-10-05

Salt Cravings

Just want to find out what could be causing my salt craving?
Since i was a young girl i have always had the need to eat a bit of salt or to eat salty things eg biltong ect. I don' t put salt on my food but have this constant craving to eat it raw, it seems to be getting worse as i grow older. What could this be?
Please help.
P.s I am not overweight or anything like that. (60kg and 1.76 tall)

Dear Mandy
It is difficult to determine what causes food cravings like your salt addiction. In some cases this is due to hormonal imbalances and in others it is a learned habit. If you suspect that hormonal imbalances may be playing a role then please consult an Endocrinologist (a medical dr who specialises in hormone function). Ask your gp to refer you because it would be good to be able to stop this salt intake as it will damage your kidneys or cause high blood pressure if you continue for long periods.