Question
Posted by: Rhea | 2012/05/30

salt content

Good day

I have IBS and am intolerant to gluten. I have Soya Life Porridge on a daily basis. I have noted that it contains 248mg sodium per serving (50g). Is this resaonable.
I have insulin resistance and am on medication for hypertension.
I have little salt when cooking and salads are saltless.
Am a vegetarian (no dairy)

Dear Rhea
Although the Soya Life Porridge does not qualify for a 'Low Sodium' label (i.e. 120 mg sodium per 100 g), it is not excessive either. According to the SA Food Tables, breakfast cereals such as All Bran and cornflakes contain 311 mg and 486 mg of sodium respectively per 30 g (weight of a usual serving of dry cereal), so the Soya Life Porridge appears to be somewhere in between. I hope that you are taking a calcium supplement if you avoid dairy products because research studies indicate that calcium (1200 mg per day) can help to lower blood pressure.

1

Dear Rhea