advertisement
Question
Posted by: Cate | 2012-07-11

Salt Allergy?

I have a friend staying with me who has been preparing our evening meals. I never add salt to my food either during preparation or afterwards (i do like crisps once or twice a week and feel that gives me adequate salt). My friend is a great believer in salt and adds what I consider rather alot to food and after a couple of days I started experiencing itchy skin rashes mainly on my legs and stomach and inner arms (sort of like hives). I have since stopped the salt and the rashes have gone away. Is it possible that too much salt can cause sensitivity or allergies?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear Cate
While you may be allergic to sodium chloride, I suspect that you are probably allergic to iodine which is added to all table salt in SA to prevent goitre. Iodine allergy could account for your skin rash. You seem to be able to do well without excessive salt intakes, but if you find that this allergy recurs every time you eat salty foods, then ask at your health shop if they have non-iodised salt available which you can try out. If you don't react to non-iodised salt then you will need to avoid iodine in all its forms.
Best regards
DietDoc

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

1
Our users say:
Posted by: DietDoc | 2012-07-12

Dear Cate
While you may be allergic to sodium chloride, I suspect that you are probably allergic to iodine which is added to all table salt in SA to prevent goitre. Iodine allergy could account for your skin rash. You seem to be able to do well without excessive salt intakes, but if you find that this allergy recurs every time you eat salty foods, then ask at your health shop if they have non-iodised salt available which you can try out. If you don't react to non-iodised salt then you will need to avoid iodine in all its forms.
Best regards
DietDoc

Reply to DietDoc

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
advertisement