Question
Posted by: Wenza | 2012/10/07

Salt addiction

Please help my eight year old son loves salt,he wants to put it on even before he tastes his food.He''ll insist there is not enough salt in his food even where an average person think it''s adequate.he ''ll return his food not eaten claiming that the salt is not enough. What could be wrong with him?6

Dear Wenza
If your 8-year-old son is addicted to salt, then it is possible that he has just learned a negative habit over time. However, salt cravings can also be indicative of physiological problems, so I would advise you to firstly have him evaluated by a Paediatrician or a Paediatric Endocrinologist. If he is given a clean bill of health, then it will be up to you to teach him to eat less salt. This may be a long battle and try everyone’s patience and nerves, but in the long run you will be helping your son to lead a healthier life and potentially preventing hypertension or kidney disease. Set a positive example and do not keep very salty foods in the home.
Children of his age are already perfectly able to understand quite complex concepts, so I would suggest that you sit down as a family and discuss the use of salt and how one can reduce one’s intake for the sake of your health. Ask your son to make suggestions and use his input to change this habit.
But do first have him assessed to eliminate any potential underlying illnesses.Best regards

1

Dear Wenza