Question
Posted by: Stacey | 2012/07/11

Salt

Thank you for your forum its wonderful .

I eat healthly , i have sent you a typical day and you agreed its healthy balanced etc . I drink alot of water , i talk alot but i have one " problem"  i eat salt on almost everything i dont know excat amounts i consume but it def is more then recommended.

The thing i have my blood pressure tested often and its norm on the lower side of normal and once or twice even a bit low . I have had diabetes test etc every year.

i know too much salt increases blood pressure is there any other harm ???

Should i force myself to cut down

thanks

Dear Stacey
Thank you for your kind words - they make my day! Excessive salt intake is not a good idea which is why the government is in the process of promulgating regulations to reduce the salt intake of the SA population. The most serious effects of high salt intakes are increase blood pressure (hypertension) and kidney disease. If you have very low bp, then you are probably not prone to this type of reaction to sodium. It is, however, always a good idea not to overdo anything. So try to reduce your salt and soldium intake by reducing how much you add to your food. Do this gradually so that you don't worsen your low bp, but try to get down to not exceeding about 1,5 gram per day.

1

Dear Stacey