Question
Posted by: Kae | 2011/08/26

Salivary Glands Producing Way Too Much Saliva

For my whole life I''ve had a strange problem: every few weeks or months I wake up in the middle of the night with way too much saliva in my mouth. I swallow it and my mouth refills with saliva in seconds, and there is a weird burning sensation in my salivary glands when this happens. The saliva is thick and stringy and after swallowing enough of it swallowing begins to hurt and my stomach begins to hurt and I feel very sick. I''ve tried just spitting it into a cup until I''m dehydrated, but it just keeps coming and I fill about 3 cups per hour. This keeps me awake all night and sometimes lasts for days before my saliva production goes back to normal. Do you know what causes this? Is there anything I can do?

Dear Kae
Hypersalivation can be caused by a variety of factors such as excessive starch intake, Gastroesophageal reflux disease, in such cases specifically called a water brash, and is characterized by a sour fluid or almost tasteless saliva in the mouth, pancreatitis, liver disease,
Serotonin syndrome,,mouth ulcers, oral infections, etc, as well as certain medications. Have you ever seen a medical doctors about this problem? If not, please consult your gp ASAP because it is important to find out what is causing you to produce so much saliva so that you can receive the correct treatment.
I hope you will see your doctor immediately.

1

Dear Kae