Question
Posted by: Lin | 2009/02/03

Saliva streaming from mouth

I sometimes wake up at night with a nauseous feeling in my stomach and within seconds saliva would start streaming out of my mouth. I cannot swallow the quantity and try and hold my mouth open over a basin until the saliva stops running. This seems to happen when I have cooked red meat for supper.

Dear Lin
Drooling could be a side effect of certain medications, caused by certain poisons (like poisonous mushrooms) or it may happen if you have severe heartburn with acid reflux into the throat. Other causes could be neurological damage like with strokes, facial paralysis or disability to swallow.
dr Bets