Question
Posted by: Lerato | 2011/10/03

Salicylate intolerance

Hi DD,

After some investigation based on long-standing suspicions, I have come to believe my 8yr old daughter may have a significant salicylate intolerance. I have found an Australian website which talks about how to reduce or eliminate salicylates in the diet but many of the things it mentions as ''failsafe'' foods or ingredients are not found in our local supermarket aisles. Where can I get help knowing what to feed my child and what things are safe to buy at the shops?

I really want to reduce her exposure to salicylates  for 8 yrs we have batttled with behavioural problems and physiological symptoms like daily tummy pains. I really believe I am onto something here, after trying everything from therapy to discipline. I myself may have an allergy as I have severe cystic acne which is resistant to every medication and therapy, even Roaccutane. I''ve had the acne almost 28 yrs now and it has always been severe. There must be something I keep putting into my body which it absolutely hates. I also suffer from endless depression and social interaction problems  I always want to be alone and have what can only be described as a dislike and mistrust of people. I never want to have or make friends and I never truly give of myself to ppl, as I just don''t trust them. This is a serious behavioural issue which as you can imagine, massively impacts my life. As with my daughter, therapy has not helped a jot. I now wonder if my diet could be to blame, as salicylates have a huge effect on emotional disposition. Please could you advise where I can get proper info in SA on avoiding salicylates and whether you know of any dieticians who could expertly advise me. I live in Jhb North. Many many thanks, I am so hopeful you can help me.

Dear Lerato
I am so sorry to hear that you suffer from such severe cystic acne, depression and social interaction problems. I do think that your conditions may be due to hormonal imbalances combined with psychological problems which could be triggered by a variety of factors such as a serotonin deficiency. I trust that you are receiving appropriate medical treatment for these conditions? If you and your 8-year-old lassie have a salicylate intolerance then it would be a good idea to consult a registered dietitian. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA (ADSA)Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area, or phone the ADSA Head Office at: (011) 789-6621 or 789-1383 to ask if they know of a registered dietitian who specialises in the dietary treatment of salicylate intolerance. If you click on 'Diet & Nutrition' at the top of this page and then do a Search with 'Salicylate' you may find the article I wrote on this topic awhile ago.
Your dietitian will be able to advise you which foods need to be avoided and you can also contact the Allergy Association by visiting their Website at: www.allallergy.net to find out more about intolerances and allergies. The Allergy Association Website lists the foods that you need to avoid if you have a specific allergy or intolerance.
I do hope that both you and your daughter will be able to pinpoint what factors (salicylates or possibly other factors), are causing your problems and eliminate them.

1

Dear Lerato