Question
Posted by: Ang | 2009/08/05

Salazopyrin AGAIN

Are there any side effects of Salazopyrin? My son started taking it when he was two and a half, he is currently on one 500 mg tables (the immediate absorb one because he cannot swallow tablets yet, so we can’ t use the slow release ones yet). His colitis seems to be fully in remission, however the specialist wants to keep him on this medication. According to the specialist it’ s safe, as a mother I’ m just a tad worried, he is only 3 years old.
Thanks !

Expert ImagePharmacist

Hi Ang

In children the recommended dosage is 20-40mg/kg bodymass. His dose should therefore be in order.