Question
Posted by: DILOLO | 2009-03-25

Salary Advice

Hi guys, i need ur advice.i have just opened a small business and its not doing well. my sister in law is not working and i decided to employ her for one hour 30 min a day.

I will pay her R1600 a month because she will be working 24 hours in a month. this morning i had a argument with my husband because he said i am selfish , how can i pay here sister that amout of money.

he continued saying i am undermining her sister and she will never work for me. her sister does not have a problem and i was just trying to help.

The thing is she will be travelling everyday using R16 a day for transport.

guys, do u think i am being unreasonable?

I wish I could be paid that amount for such a modest amount of work. Does your husband hink you are paying her too much or too little ? If he thinks she is worth much more than that, then it's easy --- he ought to hire her within his business, and pay her what he thinks she's worth. It's not your fault that she has to travel and pay for that. Wouldn't that problem be lessed, though, if instead of working for such a short time every day, she worked less days, but for longer on those days ?
Having said thi, I then check and find BT has made the same excellent points. Why not 3 hours every second day, or 1 or 2 full days a week --- same money and less profit for the taxis ?

3
Posted by: Just M | 2009-03-26

Ask your husband if you should fire his sister and get someone else.

Also, tell your husband to stop critisizing how you handle your employees. Business is business.

Reply to Just M
Posted by: Dilolo | 2009-03-25

we providing service for a certain company and we supposed to go there 4 times a week for 1h30 min.

my husband says i am manupulating her.

Reply to Dilolo
Posted by: Beyond Tired | 2009-03-25

Hi there,
To me you don' t sound unreasonable, from what you are paying for 24hrs is not bad, but why only 30 minutes a day, can' t the time be combined so that there is less traveling involved because at this point she is spending approximately R768 on traveling alone, meaning she takes less than R900 home. I think that is where your husband is having a hang up. It seems the traveling is taking too much of what she is making, what you are paying for the amont of time ain' t the problem. Look into taking her for an hour every second day or something like that. Not sure what she is doing for you, but in today' s time, something is better than nothing.

Reply to Beyond Tired