Posted by: Kelly | 2009-01-20

Would just like to know what the basic salary is for the average person?
Is it 4k, 6k, 10k , 15k...what is the basic salary that most people go home with at the end of the month?
I know it depends on your job title ,company etc. but i just want to know that average.

YOu think a psychiatrist might know that ? All I know is that apparently most people learn an awful lot more than I do, and more than I ever have

Posted by: Reality check | 2009-01-20

sorry to say this but your question is dumb

Reply to Reality check
Posted by: Kelly | 2009-01-20

Wow now i' v got reason to be depressed lol!
Most salaries are rather high...
Why do most people always complain about their salaries then?If i earned double 20k i would not be complaining at all.
I see a variety though but most good salaries.
Thanks to everyone for their input!

Reply to Kelly
Posted by: Neo | 2009-01-20

R17 000 pm- PA

Reply to Neo
Posted by: ??? | 2009-01-20

Net payment R20 000 pm.

Reply to ???
Posted by: anon 2 | 2009-01-20

secretary - R10500 nett

Reply to anon 2
Posted by: Me too | 2009-01-20

Im a QA-salary R8745 nett.

Reply to Me too
Posted by: anon | 2009-01-20

I am in recruitment and this question is like asking how long is a piece of string (sorry) It is as Just says... there are many factors. qualified people with exp, older people with lots of exp, graduates with no exp, people with no formal education etc. High demand areas at the moment are for skilled people - engineers, accountants etc

Reply to anon
Posted by: Purple | 2009-01-20

Massive salary surveys are published twice annually in South Africa with this information set out according to job grade, size of company, qualiications, experience, type of job etc.

I think I read in the paper somewhere last year that all things being equal, the average salary, calculated by taking the salaries as provided to the dept of labour in the EE report for the year, divided by the total number of people who are economically active. Economically active doesn' t mean all the people who work, but in the DoL jargon and the economics text books means all people between 15 and 65 - so includes house wives, high school pupils, students, unemployed people - basically anyone capeable of working.
They then gave a figure of R12 000 per month - bear in mind this doesn' t tell you all that much as the CEO' s in that group riase the average up really high but the cleaners and general workers bring it lower and there are probably very few people who actually earn that there will be large numbers of people earning well below that, and far smaller numbers earning far higher than that.
I think that knowing the occurrence of salary at different basic bands might be more informative with regard to curiosity about what others earn.

The best way to determine if you are paid fairly, without buying survey information is to look at the job ads in the careers section of the newspaper and on on line job sites and have a look at what salary ranges are offered for your type of position - bearing in mind that your competence, qualifications, value of the job to your specific company, size of the company and the other perks you receive that aren' t part of your basic pay will influence what you earn.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: J | 2009-01-20

11500 after deductions... Customer Service..

Depends on your exp and what you stand for... and who you work for...

Reply to J
Posted by: just | 2009-01-20

I think you need to specify. If you have a qualification your basic differs. A graduate may have a starting salary of like R7000 after tax? A lady that makes tea could earn R2k to R3k.

Reply to just
Posted by: Me | 2009-01-20

Internal Sales for transport company - R6000.00 + comm

Reply to Me
Posted by: W | 2009-01-20

Buyer - 14k

Reply to W
Posted by: Bob' s girlfriend | 2009-01-20

Bookkeeper / sandton / R20 000

Reply to Bob&#39 s girlfriend
Posted by: !!! | 2009-01-20

I am a consultant - ave take home pay -R2000pm excludes veh allowance

Reply to !!!
Posted by: Kate | 2009-01-20

I take home R23 250.00 every month, if i work overtime it will be around R 27 000.

I am a junior Engineer working for a Petro - chemical Company.

Reply to Kate