Salad before or after meal?

Thank you for the great service you provide. I would like to know which should be eaten first at supper time? I have always thought that one should eat the salad first, but I have since heard that a salad should be eaten after the main course?

Dear Salad
Thank you for your kind words, I really appreciate them. The tradition of eating salad at various times during a meal, is as follows: The French who pride themselves as the leaders in gastronomic excellence will always serve a salad after the main course to "cleanse the palate!" In SA, salads are usually served together with the main course. Eating a salad that contains lots of low-energy vegetables like lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, celery, etc, before your main course of meat and other foods, could possibly help to reduce your energy intake because it will take the edge off your appetite and you will eat less of the higher energy foods like meat, starch, etc. However, the decision as to when you eat your salad is an individual one.