Question
Posted by: dw | 2010/10/12

salad

Hi Doc. Whenever I eat salad, my stomach blows up and I am so uncomfortable. I love salad and eat it twice a day. Must I now cut it out completely? Thanks.

Dear DW
Do you only experience bloating when you eat lettuce or are you referring to a mixed salad that contains a variety of vegetables (e.g. lettuce, tomato, raw onion, cucumber, olives, etc)? If you only react to lettuce then it may help to cut lettuce out of your diet and to experiments with different types of lettuce (most greengrocers have a good variety of different types of lettuce which you can try). I know of some people who cannot eat standard lettuce without bloating, but do not react to curly leaf lettuce and vice versa. If you react to a mixture of raw vegetables in your salad, then you will have to cut out 1 ingredient at a time for at least a week to see which ingredient or multiple ingredients are causing the problem. For example, many people react to raw onions, cucumber or sweet peppers.
I hope you can pinpoint which food is causing the problem and if you do then you should rather avoid it completely in future.

1

Dear DW