Question
Posted by: preggy | 2008/11/07

Q.

Safety of Mushrooms during pregnancy

Morning ladies! Just saw a devine pasta recipy but it contains cooked mushrooms as well as Ina Paarman' s mushroom sauce...
I know that raw mushrooms is not safe to eat, but what about cooked mushrooms?

Thanks in advance!

13
user comments

C.

Posted by: Mrs Bhat | 2009/05/27

hi,
i am 6 weeks prgnant n 30 yrs old, tall (171cm) n under weight(47kgs). this is my first pregnancy. i wanted to ask if it is safe to eat mushroom during pregnancy. also, what is the best food to eat to gain weight? what food should be avoided?
thank u

Reply to Mrs Bhat
Posted by: mella | 2008/11/07

Lu-ella I think you are safe.

One thing we must remember is that our parents didn' t had this long list of what not to eat and what to eat.

My friends gave birth 2 years ago and didn' t even know about the raw egg, spicy food and the fish thing and they were surprise when I told them and it was her 2 child and the other one have 4.

Reply to mella
Posted by: Bebe | 2008/11/07

Makes sense.... Stil think raw maybe you can avoid, even if it is the ones you know, but I have been holding out so long, I will keep it up. Thanks D!

Reply to Bebe
Posted by: D | 2008/11/07

Googled it and it says eat mushrooms, as long as they are the kind you would eat when you arent pregnant,.. dont go eating odd types all of sudden

Reply to D
Posted by: D | 2008/11/07

Reply to D
Posted by: Bebe | 2008/11/07

I am not sure, I don' t think you should worry Lu-Ella, it' s one of the things I didn' t know about till I heard it on the DVD and a friend of mine got instruction from her gynae to not eat them as they are a fungi..... Don' t know the specific implications.... Will google it and see what they say....

Reply to Bebe
Posted by: Lu-Ella | 2008/11/07

Sh!t I' ve been eating them non-stop. I' ve been off meat so mushrooms have sort of become my meat substitute. What sort of damage can they allegedly do?

Reply to Lu-Ella
Posted by: Bebe | 2008/11/07

Mushrooms are considered a fungi, that is why they are not safe. Even in the " in the womb"  DVD they mention mushrooms as one of the foods that a mother instinctavely would not crave for, seeing that it is harmful...

Reply to Bebe
Posted by: G | 2008/11/07

As long as they are not magic mushrooms I thinkthey are fine :)

Reply to G
Posted by: preggy | 2008/11/07

Thanks a lot!!

Reply to preggy
Posted by: hey? | 2008/11/07

ive been scoffing down mushrooms before and during my pregnancy. this is the first ive heard about them being bad for u?

Reply to hey?
Posted by: D | 2008/11/07

Mushrooms are a good source of zinc, which is important for normal fetal growth and development during pregnancy.

Of course there are poisonous mushrooms that could cause you and the baby great harm, so never eat fresh mushrooms unless you are certain of there type and safety.

Reply to D
Posted by: Bebe | 2008/11/07

I am not sure cooked or raw? I just steer cleer all toghether, cause I know they are not safe.... I had some sauce the other night that had mushroom in, but I though, it' s dried and powdered, so I hope it' s okay. That was the only time since I fell pregnant that I had something with mushroom. maybe other ladies can help!

Reply to Bebe

Want to comment?