Posted by: curious | 2009-01-21

Safest time?

My girlfriend is on the patch and has been for the last two years. We practice safe sex so as to avoid unwanted pregnancy but I was just wondering when in her cycle would be the safest time to perhaps have unprotected sex whilst she obviously continues to take the patch?

Dear Curious
No time in the cycle is absolutely safe, but the week directly after the menstruation and the week just before her menstruation will be the least fertile times. If she uses her contraceptive patch correctly however, falling pregnant would not be a problem. Practicing safe sex is always the better option, to protect you from picking up any Sexually transmitted diseases, unless you are 100% sure that both of you are free of any infections