Posted by: Tania | 2009-03-21

Safe to fly? And supplements

Hallo Doctor

Is it safe to fly at 11 weeks pregnancy?

We already booked our flight tickets to Australia for a visit before I got pregnant, and it' s quite a long flight, about 17 hours in total.

Any suggestions? Should I drink lots of water and walk around a bit every hour?

And is there anything that I am allowed to take to help me sleep on the plane?

Also, I can get free calcium supplements at work (I work at a pharmaceutical company that makes vitamin supplements), is it a good idea to take it from the start, as it won' t cost me anything? What else can I take that will be good, I am currently using their multivitamin for pregnant women, as well as folic acid.

Thank you!

You can fly, though this is a very long flight and you will be away from medical attention for this time if there were problems. Leg clots can be prevented by drinking lots of water, using TED stockings and moving your legs regularly. If you are using a pregnancy multivitamin, you don't really need anything else.