Posted by: Michelle | 2009-10-29 respect for others

After reading complaints of other' s, I feel that I now have te right to publicise my problem.
I come from a noisy neighbourhood and have always promised my son that I will find peace and quiet as soon I can afford to. I am now living in a reasonably safe and quiet area, most people' s dream, in a two bedroomed townhouse. I am very happy and and am not considering moving any time soon, however, after 3 month' s my neighbours started having friend' s over in thr bachelor apartment and this is where the problem started. A one bedroomed house hosting up to 15 people at a time, music at it' s loudest and verbal fighting, giving me sleepless nights. My son can' t study and have to stay over at friends because he cannot concentrate on his schoolwork. Being alone I am too afraid to complain and therefore have to put up with all this.
What can I do?

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

This is absolutely unacceptable. You are also quite entitled to call the police if neighbours disturb the peace in this manner: you can ask them not to reveal your identity. I would also suggest you lodge a formal complaint with your local muncipality; this will almost certainly require repeat requests on your part. And finally, try to get some of your other neighbours on your side: a complaint, both to the authorities and to the offenders is more effective of coming from more than one homeowner.