Question
Posted by: Sadness | 2012/02/28

Sadness

For more than a week now, I have had this overwhelming feeling of sadness. If something or someone irritates me, I want to start crying. On the way to work this morning, I was listening to a CD and I cried almost all the way to work. I am under a lot of pressure at work, financial pressure, not happy at home etc. My son made a comment this morning directed at me, something trivial and quite silly and I felt my throat close up and I had to walk away before I started crying. I really don''t know what is wrong - I feel so isolated, everyone around me seems so happy, yet I want to curl into a ball and sob or run away and hide. I am tired as I don''t sleep well at night. It won''t help trying to discuss my feelings with my husband as he does not tolerate weakness in others and hates it when I cry. I was not like this before and it worries me. Is the work and financial pressure getting to me, do I need a break from everything and everyone for a while? What can I do, I cannot just pack up and run off. Advice please! Thanks!

Apart from the lasting disorder we call Depression, most of us get Sad at times, sometimes with a very obvious reason, sometimes for absolutely no reason we can see or identify. Sometimes, as may be your situation, this arises when we are under unusual stress and pressure, at work or in our private life. And, as you so well decribe, obe may become much more sensitive to small hurts or just sad images and music.
Remember that the happiness you see around you in others is what they try to show you, not necessarily how they actually feel.
Of course its not any sort of "weakness" for anyoen to feel or express sadness or depression, and only insensitive clods think so. Until they experience it themselves.
A short break may help ( if you can actually allow it to happen, without brooding about what's going on back at the office and can actually allow yourself to relax ).
This could also be early signs of a developing Depression, so if it lasts more than a couple of weeks, consider seeing at least a really good GP, or maybe a psychiatrist for an assessment and a discussion of treatment options.

3
Posted by: Sadness | 2012/02/28

Thanks for your input! Sadly I don''t have grandparents that I can run to and my own parents will tell me to deal with my issues and get on with life! I will make a concerted effort to see a doctor and hopefully get myself sorted out.

Reply to Sadness
Posted by: Zodwa | 2012/02/28

If you have enough leave days I will suggest you take a leave a visit your grandparents all by yourself sometimes one needs the ME time. If you go there do not buy a novel buy as much magazine''s as possible and avoid regarding the cybershrink related stories. Watch a lot of comedies the Martin Lawrence like comedies, the Eddie Murphy''s and maybe watch cooking channels on your tele

Reply to Zodwa