Question
Posted by: Edie | 2012/01/19

Sad kiddie :(

Dear CS

I have an almost 3 yr old who returned to school last week. When my husband dropped him off, he realised that he was in a different class to his previous classmates. We phoned and they said that he is now in the right class for his age and that he was in the wrong class last year. He was much younger and because he is very sensitive, he became withdrawn in the class environment.

Now, besides the fact that I''m so completely angry with this stupid school, who never indicated that he was 1. in the wrong class and 2. not coping as well as he should''ve and never informed us, he was quite happy. He only went for 3 days (which they are using as an excuse). But when I picked him up he would always say he had a good day. The ages of the kids fall within a 6 month period.

Now, he is in the right class for his age, but he doesn''t know anyone. Every afternoon when I pick him up he is very happy to see me, but when he gets into the car he turns into a zombie. He doesn''t want to talk, or sing, he just stares out of the window. At home, he also just want to lie infront of the tv. He''ll go for a bike ride or a walk but he still doesn''t want to talk and when we get home he just keeps crying and doesn''t want to eat or take a bath. He doesn''t greet anyone, althoug he loves them (grandparents etc). He is just so lethargic and I dont know whether he is overstimulated or under-stimulated.

I went to speak to his teacher today and she confirmed that he was very lonely and did not interact with the other kids at all. She said that he should be fine, but that she is trying to encourage the kids (who have mostly been together since 4 months) to get to know him.

Now, I know he is only almost 3 and that it is a new year, new teacher, new friends, but should he be so very moody, almost depressed? I''m so scared that we really don''t know how to handle him and what he is up for and what not. Am I over thinking this or should I maybe take him to a play therapist/or someone to get more info with regards to his personality. Both my husband and myself work and we have to send him to school. His Grandparents also can''t look after him anymore.

I''m just second guessing every decision I make and I just don''t know whether I''m taking it too far or not far enough.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Kind Regards

Obviously the school ought to have discusssed with you both their belief ( not scientific with kids of this age, and probably based only on their assumptions ) that he should have been in a different class. And they should, if a move was necessary and for the child's best benefit, have helped you to prepare the child for the change.
They have certainly failed in their duty to keep parents informed and to consult you on such decisions.
Mind you, for any kid, let alone someone so very young, the start of a new school year with new classmates takes a bit of settling in and getting used to.
He should be able to settle in, given a bit more time, but its wise to be observant and see whether this happens. Atg any age, but again especially when so young, its hard for a kid to speak about how they feel, and this is one of the relatively few situations where a play therapist can help in assessment which can include non-verbal aspects of play.

1