Posted by: Melani | 2009-03-24

sad and confused

I' m 20 and some days, (almost every day) I just feel drained. Every one tells me that it is time to get a grip! But I can' t. I can' t control my emotions. I feel like crying all the time. I don' t want to get out of bed in the morning. I feel hopeless, I' m tired all the time. I really don' t enjoy anything I use to enjoy. I don' t want to hang out with my friends anymore and loss of appetite also. I need to sleep much more than I used to… I really don' t want to live anymore and I do think of suicide (a lot) but usually I just cut myself instead.
Do I need help? I' ve been feeling like this for a long time now and I really want to have my smile back.

I am struck by how many people paint themselves into a corner by declaring that they CAN'T do things which they can, but either don't or won't do. You can control your emotions, even if you might need a little help to do so. IF you are, as you might be, judging from yoru description, Depressed, this responds well to proper treatment, with meds and counselling, which should bring back that smile you miss. By the way you describe a major symptom of Depression which is often overlooked, which technically we call Anhedonia --- losing the capacity to enjoy whatever it is you usually enjoy. That, too, responds to the proper treatment. So, see a good local psychiatrist, or maybe a really good GP, and get assessed, diagnosed, and start treatment. And as Wendy says, avoid alcohol which only worsens depression

Posted by: Wendy | 2009-03-25

Hi Melani, you are showing the classic signs of someone who is depressed. Speak to your doctor and go and see a good psychologist. You need to be on anti-depressants for a while to get your body back into sync. Once you can do that then you will feel much better. It' s also good for you to get out there with your friends - even if you don' t feel like it - and you don' t have to do anything hectic - to take your mind off things. Also don' t turn to alcohol - it makes things worse. See a good doctor and your smile will be back in no time. Good luck!

Reply to Wendy