Question
Posted by: Patricia | 2010/06/03

Sad and angry

I moved to Canada almost 2 years ago and unfortunately I wasn''t able to bring my cat with me, so I gave her to a family that I trusted and wanted to have her. I trusted them so much that I didn''t even think it important to inform the vet, but I gave them the cat''s passport and vaccination information. Well, yesterday my parents got a letter with my name on it. It was from the Animal Services staff saying my cat had been found (alive). My parents called me and then I called the family in question, to which they replied they had no idea who I was or what I was talking about, which means they intentionally threw the cat out. So I called a friend and asked her if she could go and get the cat for me and maybe send her to me afterwards (because I didn''t know what else to do and she can''t keep her because of her many dogs). She said yes. Then I told my parents my friend was going to get the cat and keep her too, so everything would be fine. My parents never liked the cat and didn''t want me to have her back at all, so I had to lie. But they thought I would do anything to get her back so they started saying things like " Don''t you even think of keeping her! We''re here starving (not true at all) and you''re gonna spend money on a cat. I''ll die if you take her back. It''s me or her. You won''t see me again!" . I just repeated my friend was going to take the cat herself and there''s no way I could go and get her because I''m so far away. So last evening I sent an email to Animal Services to know the details and tell them my friend was going to pick the cat up, and also told them not to give the cat to my parents, just in case they decided to go there themselves. As they didn''t reply by this morning, I called them and someone picked up the phone but didn''t say a word. They were too distracted talking with MY PARENTS. I listened to a lot of the conversation but I was too nervous and decided to call again to get the person''s attention but she didn''t pick up the phone again until an hour later. I finally managed to talk to some people including the vet who was working at the moment and I explained how my parents only wanted to get rid of the cat somehow (by killing her because she has a microchip and people would find her again if they left her somewhere and the process would repeat itself). My parents were right there (though in another room) and I was so scared they would take her and kill her God knows how brutally, plus the vet told me that having the cat sent to me would not work, so I had no choice but allow the cat to be free for adoption and, as the vet said at her age no one will want her, give them the choice to put her down. They promised me they wouldn''t give her to my parents though. But she will be put down, and she will die because my parents went there without telling me and before my friend had a chance to go first and I called and caught them in the middle of the conversation and got so nervous that I decided to let her die with a needle to prevent something more painful. I can''t begin to describe how shocked I am, how shocked that my parents are just as bad as I thought and my fear that they go there and try to get the cat did really happen. No one told them I was on the phone though, at least that I know of, so they might not even know that I overheard the conversation. Plus I don''t know if the cat is really " safe"  or if my parents bribed them to give them the cat. It''s a corrupt world. I called a brother at some point hoping to get some help but he said he hang up and turned the phone off, so I couldn''t call again. Sometimes I feel like I have no family and no one to turn to. My boyfriend offered to pay for whichever travel expenses for the cat just to see me happy, but when others stab you in the back there''s nothing you can do. I have 14 brothers and sisters and I can''t name one who would do the same for me. They are so fake. Everyone''s fake. I don''t know how I''m supposed to feel. Some say it''s " just"  a cat, but for me it''s like a baby. You adopt it and you''re responsible for it. And cats feel pain too. Why would it be less sad than killing a child? I do hope they put her down because I''d never forgive my parents if they got her and kill her with kicks or a garden tool or something. They know how I loved this cat. It was so hard for me to give her away. I just can''t believe I have to lose her again and in a much more cruel way. I don''t want to start a war with my parents because my youngest brothers (13 and 16) would suffer with that too, but I surely will not feel guilty again for wanting to stay in Canada forever. They don''t deserve my consideration.

I can understand how awful and helpless you feel. I think there are major complexities in terms of health regulations ( for the cat's sake, as well as ours ) that would probably make it impossible for you to have the cat join you in Canada.
Round here, I have found the SPCA lacking in caring, but have been impressed with a group called CLAWS, that looks after lost cats, dogs and I think birds, and provides health care and looks hard for re-housing for them.
One of our regulars works with them, and helped me, a couple of years ago, to adopt a splendid young cat who had been discarded and was found lost in a township. Maybe they can advise ? I seem to remember they had a web-site.
At least your parents have demonstrated the level of care they deserve from you when they need or want it.

3
Posted by: Jordan | 2010/06/03

Shoo, sounds like an awaful lot of hype of nothing. Sorry, but I don''t share your passion for cats, love them but certainly would not get so worked up over it. Anyway, I didn''t even read to end of your story, but I hope it works out ok.

Reply to Jordan
Posted by: qwerty | 2010/06/03

Wow! What a horrible story. I can completely relate to your feelings about your cat - my cats are also like my babies, with their little quirks and their unique personalities. I can''t begin to imagine how tough this must be for you. :(

Your family does indeed sound horrible and selfish, and not worth your consideration.

All I can say is that I feel for you, and that I wish you all the best!!

Reply to qwerty