Question
Posted by: k in kzn | 2010/10/03

Sad &  worthless

Hello. Over the past year I have periods of feeling so worthless and sad and all I really want to end my life. I''m married (I love my husband but I just can''t seem to please him - he''s always criticising me and what I do) and his two adult kids live with us which adds alot of stress because my husband gets highly defensive if I make any attempts to correct bad behaviours so I end up keeping quiet and feeling helpless. A month ago I knew I needed to get help because I audited all my pills and planned to kill myself. I wrote a letter to my grown son and mother. My husband found me late at night writing the letter and took me back to bed. I never spoke to anyone about it. Now I feel the same - it''s back. I don''t think anyone will miss me if I''m gone. I feel so hopeless.
I just want to run away - to give up my job and family and go far far far away.
Is there any hope?

This degree of suicidal thinking has to be taken seriously, and very strongly suggests that your depression is not yet being effectively treated. Discuss this with your psychiatrist, frankly - and if you are only being treated by a GP so far, then insist on seeing a psychiatrist as soon as possible, for a fresh assessment and exploration of treatment options. These should, if possible, include not merely medication, but also counselling of the CBT form to help you learn more effective ways of coping with all this negative thinking and the bunch of convincing but false negative assumptions that are bogging you down.
Undoubtedly there is hope. Sadly, as one becomes depressed, research shows that one's mode of thinking changes, so that one notices mainly negative aspects of life, and puts a negative interpretation on everything, so it becomes harder to see the hope there is. With proper treatment you should be feeling significantly better and enjoying life more, before long.
Once your depression has begun really improving, it may be worth exploring the possibility of marriage counselling to deal better with your husband's unhelpful responses and habits,

1