Question
Posted by: Nicole | 2012/07/02

Sad

Hi Cybershrink.

I adopted a kitten 2months ago. He was six weeks old at the time. Yesterday, a big cat decided to attack my poor baby. He was very shaken, and hardly slept or ate anything the whole night. This morning when we woke up, he seemed slighty fine. decided to give him a bath, as he was covered in feaces. Hubby thinks I should give the kitty back to the SPCA, where he can find a much more suitable home. :(. We living in a complex. And I''m estimating that there are more than 4 cats. I really don''t want to give him back. He got use to us, his home, and everything around him within two weeks. I am so confused right now as to think what is the best option for my kitty. :(...

Thanks for reasing.

We have had some most excellent cat experts among our regularas, though some, like Jcat I haven't heard from for some time. Any expert ou there ?
I think it could be more upsetting for the kitten to be given back again at this stage, but it depends on the situation you're in. Why did the other big cat decide to attack ? They don't usually do this, especially to a baby kitten ; how are the other cats in the complex ? possibly friendly or at least neutral ? Is it practical to protect him in your home at least till he gets bigger and stronger ? My present cat is slightly disabled and vulnerable, so I keep her indoors at all times unless on a lead and with me, and though this is extra work, it works and she has not been attacked by some of the horibly aggressive cats next door.
Was there someone intelligent and knwoleadgeable at the SPCA you could call and ask for advice ?

2
Posted by: Liza | 2012/07/02

I''ve also got problems with other cats fighting with mine (although mine is 2 1/2 years old). I now don''t allow him outside at night since that''s the usual time when cats fight. I have to say that it''s strange that this other cat would fight with your kitten. Adult cats don''t usually fight with kittens that age.

Unfortunately there is a chance that if you gave kitty back to the SPCA, that he wouldn''t find another home and be euthanised instead. I think it would be best if you kept the kitten - he''s been living for you for more than half his life so giving him away could be terribly confusing and upsetting to him. Has this other cat attacked him more than once? If this was only one incident, it doesn''t make sense to just give up and give the cat away. If happens frequently however, then it would probably be best to find him another home.

Good Luck
Liza

Reply to Liza