Question
Posted by: g | 2010/09/22

sad

I am so angry with myself. I have allowed food to destroy my self-esteem, my health, a future. Food was/is my enemy but he is also the only constant, stable thing in my life. Doc, I hate myself so much for what i have done to my body. I can''t stand living in it, I can''t accept me. I want to change and am working so hard on making healthy choices. I want to shout out for help but how can anyone help me if i am my worst enemy? I have been following a healthy eating plan for the past 2 weeks which is a huge achievement for me. But it is not easy, I use food to fill an emotional void and now that i am not binging, instead of being happy, i am sad because I have nothing except an intense, overwhelming, longing for something other than food. When I look at food, i actually get nauseous (a first for me!).

As you will have noticed, hating yourself is not at all a useful emotion. And probably leads to you eating even more and making things worse. If you feel food and eating are the only stable things in your life, you may be neglecting to explore and develop other more healthy constants.
And see a counsellor/ psychotherapist to explore this "void" and to help you find far more ways of filling it. You can be active and content in many ways other than just eating, but may beed such hepto develop new and more wholesome habits

2
Posted by: Woman | 2010/09/22

Well, if you have a hole, g, fill it up. And if you want to fill a hole, there is nothing better than exercise. And I really do believe in Yoga, not gym yoga, but yoga at a private studio with a good teacher. Yoga doesn''t only have huge physical benefits, it also has practical benefits. They teach you how to breathe right, and when to breathe how, which helps in stress. It teaches you posture and it brings in touch with your body and yourself. It makes you fitter and stronger than you have ever felt in your life.

Congratulations on eating healthy for 2 weeks! Soon it will become a habit and then you will be fine. Living healthy is the only way to go if you want to live a long life free from all the niggles. It''s the practical and rational choice to make.

You probably feel ill because you are detoxing - invest in some Milk thistle and granular vit. C. Drink tons of water, eat plenty of fruit and nuts, drink green tea. Remember years of being unhealthy has given so many poisons free reign in your body, now, as your body starts fighting back, there will be discomfort as it is expelled - but it will pass, and sooner than you think, and then you will feel like a brand new person.

Good luck, I hope you feel better soon!

Reply to Woman