Question
Posted by: clinton | 2008/09/30

S-C-REACTIVE PROTEIN HIGH

I VISITED A DOCTOR IN DEC 07. THIS WAS IN AID TO GAIN WEIGHT AS I AM 1.85M AND WEIGH 55KG MALE. AFTER DOING A BLOOD TEST MY PATHOLOGY REPORT SHOWED A LEVEL OF 186.2 MG/L S C REACTIVE PROTEIN THE NORM BEING 0.0 AND 8.0. THE DOCTOR SUGGESTED I DRINK MORE WATER, LIKE 8 GLASSES A DAY. SHOULD I BE CONCERNED WITH THESE LEVELS AS I READ THIS IS LINKED TO HEART DISEASE AND CANCER.

Dear clinton
C-Reactive Proteinis a special type of protein produced in the liver that is present during episodes of acute inflammation or infection. It is very unspecific to diagnose disease and is used to monitor whether infection /inflammation is getting better or worse. You are right, CRP can be linked to heart disease and cancer. Your doctor can do a full medical examination to specifically look for possible causes of a high reading, like infection or inflammatory disease, and check you for possible heart disease or cancer. He can also follow up on the reading in about 6 weeks to see if this is going up or down.
I don't think you should be overly concerned if he finds no cause, just monitor it. If it keeps going up then you would probably need more in-depth examinations and may need referral to a physician.