Question
Posted by: K | 2009-07-15

RYE BREAD

Im trying to lose weight and I was advised to cut bread for now and I will introduce it later into my diet .
my question - can I eat 2 slices of rye bread anyway ?
what is the difference between normal bread and rye bread ?

Dear K
Rye bread, esp 100% rye bread, does not contain any wheat flour and has a low glycaemic index (GI), while white, brown and wholewheat wheat breads have a high-GI. Low-GI foods help you to keep your insulin and blood glucose levels steadier and thus promote weightloss. If you are not allergic to wheat there is not reason why you need to cut out bread, but it is a good idea to eat low-GI breads like 100% rye bread. Carbohydrates like bread have a low energy content (16 kJ/gram), and it is the fat we add to bread and other carbs that causes weight gain. Fat contains 37 kJ per gram!