Question
Posted by: TM | 2011-04-06

Rye

Good Morning
I have digestive problems which led to me being severly constipated. I have seen my DR and she has sugessted that i try this diet - no wheat, no processed food , no cheese ect!

I bought 100% rye from pick n pay yesterday( its the one the bakery makes) when i got home i checked the label it said it contained wheat flour and that was the first ingredient on the list. The ryevita i buy contains 97% rye four and the rest corn flour.
Please help i dont understand shouldnt it say its made from rye four?

Your clarity would be much appreciated!
TM

Dear TM
I must say that I too am puzzled by the fact that a 100% rye bread purchased at a branch of Pick 'n Pay and baked in their bakery should list wheat flour as the first ingredient in the list of ingredients (which according to food labelling legislation would indicate that wheat flour constitutes the major ingredient). It is a fact that rye flour which does not contain gluten, is difficult to bake with and most rye breads do contain some wheat flour to make the bread rise. For example, I eat so-called 'Berliner Rye Bread' which is 60% rye flour plus 40% wheat flour as stated on the label. In this case, I would recommend that you return to the supermarket and ask the bakery manager about this problem. It could be an error on the label, which can be corrected. 100% rye bread is very solid and heavy - a typical example is Pumpernickel bread. I hope your constipation will improve on the diet suggested by your doctor.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-04-06

Dear TM