Question
Posted by: emily | 2011/11/25

rushing through my life

Dear Cybershrink
Please can you help me understand and change my behavior. Everything I do is a rush, its as if I am rushing through my life. As an example my boss will give me a task and I know it does not have to be done straight away but I will stress myself out to the limit and get it done there and then. When I get home from work in the evening I will rush rush to get supper ready clean the house see to my daughter in a rush, and all for what. My hubby thinks I am batty. Whethere I am cleaning, working, eating I rush to get done. I can honestly even say that I don’ t enjoy myself ever when I got out or spend time with friends etc…  I am always thinking ahead to what to do and cannot just be in the moment. Its as if I take everyday things like washing up, cloths washing, as a major task. Even when I do personal things for myself like washing hair or getting ready to go somewhere I rush.
How can I enjoy my life and just be??

Are you thinking that you can make time for the task now, but maybe later there wouldn't be enough time ? I don't think you're batty, but surely inefficient, especially if you don't have anything pleasant or useful to do with the time you are supposedly saving. Maybe there's a tough of an obsessive personality. CBT style counselling is excellent at helping you unlearn such bad habits and assumptions, and to become more relaxed and efficient

1