Question
Posted by: Gillian | 2011-05-10

Ruptured Appendix

Dear Doc, my appendix ruptured on 8.04.2011 which was removed via laparoscopy. Stayed in hospital for 5 days, receiving antibiotics and upon discharge, had a second course of antibiotics. It has been almost 1 month now. After2 weeks, I had a follow-up with my surgeon where he expressed that he had been very worried as I had been VERY sick due to the ruptured appendix.

For the past 2 weeks, I have had pain in my bladder area. Last week I went to my GP who did a urine test and could not find bladder infection, although if felt like it. She also took blood samples which showed a higher than normal infection count. From yesterday, I have been feeling vague pain in the area where I initially had pain before removing my appendix.

Today I still have pain and I am generally not feeling well. Could this possibly be post-op infection or an abses that may have formed due to the ruptured appendix? Should I contact my surgeon?

Gillian

You should urgently contact your surgeon, as it is possible that there is an area of infection that is causing your problems and this will have to be investigated to prevent you from being hospitalised again.