Posted by: Anony | 2009-07-01

Runny/Blocked Nose in toddler

My 25 month old daughter has had allergy tests for inhalants &  foods when she was 6 months and all came back negative. Her ENT said to treat her as an allergic child and has put her on 5ml zyrtec daily.
She constantly has a blocked or runny nose and will not allow me to use any nasal sprays - if i bring one out she goes hysterica. What can be the cause of this and how can i treat her without nasal sprays?

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Anonymous

First of all, allergy tests probably need to be repeated since allergies develop / change with age. After the age of 2 years, one will get a better idea on whether she is still truely allergic or not. If allergy tests are negative, nasal sprays will be of little benefit. If the tests shows that she is allergic then one could try a nasal drop instead of a nasal spray. You would need a prescription for this though.

She could have enlarged adenoids. This will cause her to snore, have nasal secretions and have a constantly blocked nose with open-mouth breathing. If this is the case, take her to an ENT surgeon.