Question
Posted by: Soul | 2011/09/20

Runny noses and coughs

Hi, my two girls (5 and 7) finished their Augmentin antibiotics around last week Monday/Tuesday. They were on the antibiotics for seven days. As it is merely a week later and they both still have a constant runny noses and coughs (more throughout the night and when they get up in the mornings), is there anything I can get tem over-the-counter that can help without giving them antibiotics again, merely a week later? They don''t have any fevers. My smaller one does complain about her left ear if she blows her nose, now and then, not constantly. Do I need to take them back to the GP?

Expert ImagePharmacist

Hi Soul

The antibiotic would have been effective in eliminating secondary bacterial infections. However, if the runny nose or cough your daughters have, is the result of a cold or allergies, an antibiotic won't be effective in treating it. In case of cold symptoms some Coryx syrup from your pharmacy should help.

For now I wont suggest seeing the doctor again. However, do keep an eye on your youngest's ear. If it doesn't improve (or if it worsens) or if fever sets in again, your doctor should have a look.

1
Posted by: pharmacist | 2011/09/22

Hi Soul

Reply to pharmacist