Posted by: susan | 2012-02-23

running/walking shoes

Hi doctor,

I walk plus/minus 5 k''s on street as well as on the treadmill in the gimnasium. I am considering to buy a pair of so-called flexible shoes, but read on the internet people who overpronate should wear walking/running shoes with firm support.
Will flexible shoes then be suitable? I tried them on and they felt very comfortable - but I am not sure this will be the case once I start walking long distances with them.
Could you please give me an opinion on flexible shoes for overpronators, and in general, what type of walking shoe I should be looking for?

Hi Susan

I am not 100% sure what "flexible shoes" means. I'd get a pair of shoes that are made for walking or running, but not necessarily ones with massive support, because I agree with what you read - you don't need that kind of support. So avoid those overpronation shoes, the ones that are very stiff and rigid. If you can get something more flexible, that's the way to go, but it would still be a shoe that is made for running or walking. If only because these shoes are going to be more durable. I don't know what shoe you're looking at that you would call a flexible shoe, but as long as it's comfortable and durable, then the more flexible the better!