Question
Posted by: Telly | 2009-08-14

Running = weightloss?

So i wanna get fit and loose 10kg. I will be following a healthy (fish veg fruit ect diet) and i will only be doing walking, gradually building up to a jog, as i am very unfit. I am using a local track (400m) i think. What distance should i be doing everyday. And i will be doing it 5 times a week. Is that sufficient?

HI Telly

I think you should start off with a realistic expectation, maybe of reaching 5 km in 4 to 6 weeks (depend on natural running ability. There is a programme on this site, on the Fitness page under the link "Programmes" that would help you start off. I think that's a good idea, because you could well overdo it early on, and even if a programme feels restrictive, it's good to begin with.

So that would be my advice. Hope it helps!

Ross

2
Posted by: Telly | 2009-08-19

Thank you so much for the reply, it helps getting some advise. Annemarie thnx, i went and bought myself a decent pair of running shoes, and i must admit that motivated me a more.

Reply to Telly
Posted by: annemarie | 2009-08-17

Congrats on wanting to get fit and loose weight. First get checked out by a doctor. Then start by getting the right shoes, after that, start by walking only a few minutes EVERY SECOND DAY and never get out of breath (the talk test - you must be able to talk while you walk) slowly build up by adding a few minutes every week, then when you are fitter, start running short bits inbetween, as soon as you are out of breath, walk again. Soon you will be running your first race! (I' ve been running for 19 years)Good luck.!!

Reply to annemarie