Posted by: Anon | 2008-11-12

running vs walking

Dear doc.i know i am blonde and the qeustion doesn`t really make sense ,but i want to know is running on a treadmill on 5.5 speed the same as walking on a treadmill at 5.5 and does it have the same benefits?thank you.

I think so - it depends on the treadmill, I suspect, but if I understand the question correctly, you're able to walk and run at the speed of 5.5. Is that 5.5 measured in km/hour? Because that seems reasonable. I would therefore guess that it's teh same. The practical thing is whether you should be jogging that slowly, because there is a certain speed at which jogging actually becomes easier, and if you run below that speed, it's actually HARDER TO RUN than to walk. So it's quite possible that you would actually be able to run at say a speed of 7 and find it even easier than 5.5.

So I'd give that a try and see how it goes.