Question
Posted by: Nina | 2010/11/01

running vs cycling

according to the burn-o-meter I burn the same number of calories per hour when running (9.6 km/h) or cycling (24km/h). Is this true? If so... I can cycle for 3 hours (2100 calories) but can only run for 1 hour (700 calories). If I enjoy both (and have the time) and want max weightloss it is definitely better to cycle??

Hi Nina

It's about right. Remember, that's just an estimate, but it sounds about right to me. Cycling is generally lower because it's not weight bearing, and also due to some technicalities around body position not being as vertical as for running.

But on the whole, they're pretty similar. So, if you have 3 hours, then yes, cycling will burn more calories. Remember that it's not as simple as energy in vs energy out, and there is also the not insignificant matter of whether you can train for 3 hours a day and recover by the next day - it's possible that running 1 hour a day maximizes your energy over a month, because you can at least do it!

But pragmatic issues aside, purely on the numbers, then yes, the more you can do the better, and if you can do more cycling, then that's the one.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/11/12

Hi Nina

Reply to fitnessdoc