Posted by: Joanne | 2009-08-31

Running tips pse!!!

Hello Doc
I have been running on the treadmill every second day for a few weeks now and my calves are still really tight. I ahve been doing teh leg raises like you suggested but it doenst'  seem to be working.
When i run on the road though i don' t feel any pain, but as soon as i get back on the treadmill i can feel they' re so tight it' s like i' ve run up a hill!
Do you have any idea what could be causing this or how to stop it?
I' ve been exercising for a yer now and loving it, so i' m really fit and only recently got into running and i really enjoy it so don' t want to have to stop.
Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks a lot!

Hi Joanne

Calf muscles can be tricky. One of the differences between the treadmill and road is that when you run on the mill, you tend to land on the front of the foot, which would, in theory, put more load on the calf muscles. So that would fit with your pain. Running outside would allow you to land more neutrally, and that might help prevent this.

I guess the obvious solution is to run outside all the time! Obviously, that may not be feasible. I'm not sure if your treadmill can have a negative gradient? If it can, and you can put it on -1%, then it might help a little. Otherwise, I'd say just run slower on the treadmill than you currently are, and hopefully it will be OK. But with summer coming, maybe you'll find that you can run outside more!