Question
Posted by: Huh? | 2008/06/02

Running stomach from intense exercise

I went Mountain biking yesterday morning. Luckiy we hadn't gone too far when I started with a cold sweat, I stopped cycling and lost all my strength. I wanted to vomit and my stomach wanted to go. I managed to hold it in till we could back to the restaurant where we started. The same thing happened this time a year ago after canoeing. We had to fall into the freezing water, "initiation" I had a hot shower afterwards and then the same symptoms. This is scaring me from doing any hectic exercise, I dont want to just stick to going to the gym.

I actually don't think that this has anything to do with strenuous exercise, but is more likely your body's response to some kind of infection or illness. I know it's been brought on during exercise, but the symptoms are more consistent with some kind of virus or bug or something else perhaps related to food you ate, and not with the actual act of exercise. I'm sure, for example, that you have probably done exercise 100 times since then, and not had these problems, so I'd like to say that you should not get stuck on the 2 bad days. I know that's easier said than done, but I think you need to go out and exercise a little more gradually, and build up to the point where you are confident that this won't happen.