Question
Posted by: Joan | 2010/04/13

Running, sore calves

HI Doc
I started running last year and really got into it and even did a few trail runs which I''m not addicted to. But then I had to take three weeks off (work reasons) and now I''m battling to get back into it - the midn is willing but my calves get so tight and sore that i can''t do it for long.

Running on the road or off road seems to be easier, but if i try it on the treadmill my calves seize up and i can''t run for more than a few minutes.
I do strength training and do try stretch my calves as much as possible, but do you have any other tips?

I love running and want to enter races but i don''t want to run a race and then not be able to walk properly for days afterwards!

Thanks!

Hi Joan

It can be a struggle, and you have to really force yourself to go right back to the start. Your problem is that your mind remembers what you did, but your body has forgotten, so you have to force yourself to be a "beginner" again.

If you have pain on the treadmill, then run on the road, there's no problem with that provided you feel safe doing so. But that's what you have to do in order to start. If your calf pain starts after 20 minutes, then run 20 minutes until you've adapted to it, and then gradually increase.

You'll get there eventually, it's just very tough at first, and you have to really be patient. The best thing you can do is to find someone else who is willing to run with you, who is less fit than you are, and then they will force you to slow down and work at a slower pace.

2
Posted by: Vinny | 2014/06/11

My doctor recommended a golf ball muscle roller which i use before and after i run, wow what a difference!! Everyone needs one,night and day difference! http://zzathletics.com/Golf-Ball-Muscle-Roller-Massager-GBMR1.htm

Reply to Vinny
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/04/30

Hi Joan

Reply to fitnessdoc