Question
Posted by: BUNNY | 2008-11-18

RUNNING SHOES - SORE KNEES

HI DOC

I HAVE ALWAYS USED NEUTRAL RUNNING SHOES WHILE RUNNING AND I HAVE RECENTLY BROUGHT NEW SHOES - STABILITY FOR OVER PRONATION. I HAVE SINCE HAD PAINFUL KNEES WHILE RUNNING LONG DISTANCES. HOW DO I KNOW IF I SHOULD BE USING NEUTRAL OR STABILITY SHOES? HOW CAN I TELL IF MY FEET DO OVER PRONATE OR NOT?

THANKS

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Bunny

Choosing a running shoe that works for you can be complicated. There is no quick accurate foolproof method to decide which type of shoe to use. Very few shoe shop assisstants have the training or experience to choose the correct shoe for you. In my practice I use computor video gait analysis to help choose shoes. This may sound too simple but if you have run pain free in neutral shoes and now get pain in the anti-pronation shoes, switch back to neutral shoes! It can be very confusing because i see runners who pronate a lot running in neutral shoes with no problem and vice versa. The shoe in which you can run pain free is the best shoe for you!!

Chris