Question
Posted by: Superbike | 2009-03-13

Running pains

My ankles get extremely painful after I run. To the extent that I can barely walk for about 2 days after the running training day. The pain is on the inside of the ankle. During the running I am fine. How do I sort this problem out?

Hi Superbike

Both ankles? If it is, then it's probably a weakness that you could address by doing some specific strength training, like calf raises, balancing on one leg at a time for 30 seconds, lunges, side to side running. Obviously, not too much of this because a weak ankle will take strain, but those kinds of exercises help.

Also, it depends how long you've been running for. If you're new to it, then it might just be a phase that happens where your body will resist and be sore for a while. With luck, it will go away as you get stronger.

There is a chance you've injured yourself, and in that case, you need to back off the run for a little and shorten the distance, say to 70% of what you normally do. Then see how it goes. If the problem persists, then I'd see a doctor or a physio and get it diagnosed. I have a feeling it will go away with time and training, but just keep that option open.

Finally, make sure you're in decent shoes - if your shoes are worn out and providing no support, then you might be collapsing in and putting strain on the ankles. SO this is an importan tthing to tie down.

1
Posted by: Boyscout | 2009-03-13

Hi Superbike...nice nickname by the way!:-)

My advice is to consult your doctor. I had a similar problem a while back after running but in my lower legs.....it really didnt feel like shin splints but it was in the end. Got some meds, iced my legs nightly for two weeks and didnt run for 2 weeks and I havent had the problem since. If i didnt see my doc Id probably still be in pain!

Good luck!

Reply to Boyscout