Question

running out

Hi Everyone,

I would like to know how do i stop my dog from running out the gate whenever it opens?

I got a miniture duchound at six weeks and a month later i got a husky also at six weeks.since they started living outside at about 4months of age, my husky started running out of the gate everytime we opened it when we went to go somewhere, later on my duchound started doing the same thing, as i think she learnt from the husky i usually did hit them with newspaper as it makes more noise than hurt them but they never learn.

One day we came back from shopping and as soon as we opened the gate my duchound came running out into the street and unfortunatly got ran over by a car and i cried my eyes out for the next week.

Now i am looking to get another puppy, but since my husky still has not stoped running out the gate whenever it opens, i am too afraid to get another dog as she will also learn that bad habit from my husky and i dont want to loose another dog by a car bcos they run into the street

please advice on how i can get my dog to stop doing this as i really want another dog(labrador)

Your advice will be apreciated

Dear Anon

Get in touch with Petsafe. They sell very expensive stuff that will work.

15

mmm Anonymous-with-the-Husky I think 5 Our Fathers and a couple of Hail Marys should ensure your fogiveness!

I would not have been rude if you have not been rude to me, and i apologize if you dont understand cos i did my best to be as specific as i can, if you dont understand then stay out of it

But i am not the person that is rude to others i just wanted advice, so i do really apologise to cat lady and to you, chill
And i am sorry that i asked a stupid Q acording to you but understand that it is a big problem for me as i am getting a new puppy and dont want her to learn that from my husky, so i am sorry for everything bad i said and i got my problem sorted by sybervets advice and i got myself a petsafe containment system and everything should work out as soon as it gets delivered

Thanks to all of your advice and i do apologise, cat lady and chill

Posted by: Chill | 2009-07-09

You' re digging yourself an ever deeper hole Anonymous-with-the-Husky. You' re not making sense, and now you' re being rude to Cat Lady, too...

Reply to Chill

Cat lady- it seems you dont understand, electric gate, operated by electricity, open with a button, press the buttton- wow the gate opens , push again and it close not person operated, so what do i do when coming from work, sitting in my car open my gate to go into my yard and then my dog runs out. i do have a huge yard for my dog to run so why in hell would i tie my dog up, O and i have walls all around my house, do you now understand or should i draw you a picture????

And i think you are just up here to pi$$ people off, good people who just want some advice, wether it sounds stupid to you it may be a problem for the owner of a pet, and some of us care enough about our pets to aks for advice, wether you think ist stupid or small good advice means alot.

I dont know why the world needs people like this????

Posted by: Chill | 2009-07-08

Thanks for the support, Cat Lady - but dontcha worry about me - all this stuff is, as they say, a duck' s water off my back.

It completely beats me how someone can expect advice on where to put a bloody fence, actually... should we have said: from the fence, just by the hydrangea, and then diagonally across to the corner where the tap is... etc? Oh well - takes all sorts, I spose!

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Cat Lady | 2009-07-08

Good grief. Poor Chill! By the way Chill you forgot to moan about the spelling of the " Duchound"  sad though it is that it was knocked down. Another reason for another prayer session for your salvation!
Chill has been on this site for donkey' s years and has always given good, sound advice even for the most obvious stupid questions. If your dog runs out, electric gate or not, its your duty to see that a) either the dog is kept inside during your trip and b) put up fences after you yourself have gotten through your electric gate with child and then let him loose. Mine are inside until I come home and are let out after the electric gate has closed but then I have a backyard available to them where they can run when I am not home.

Reply to Cat Lady
Posted by: Zarathustra | 2009-07-07

Thank Angus and our saviour. In any order you wish.

Reply to Zarathustra
Posted by: Zarathustra | 2009-07-07

Or he will, of course.

Reply to Zarathustra
Posted by: Chill | 2009-07-07

Oh, thank you, thank you, Zarathustra.

How do you know I' m a ' she' ?

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Zarathustra | 2009-07-07

Angus will lead prayers for the salvatiion of Chill at 10PM. The demons will be exorcised at 11PM. She will in future have a bad comment on every second post.

Reply to Zarathustra
Posted by: Chill | 2009-07-07

OK, I do terribly apologise.

Now, would you please put up a full plan of your house and garden, including the gate, so that we can let you know where to put the wooden wall that you obviously didn'  t know you can obtain? Let us know where on the web to look - I undertake to come up with a solution for you.

Reply to Chill

Chill, it is not all about saving myself trouble and i did not say my dog mus know this by itself, i asked some advice on how to keep him from running out the gate as i have a electric gate for my safety as i do have a child with me in the car aswell and dont want to get out and leave my child in the car by herself and i am a woman so i am an easy target when getting out of my car

so now i have to decide do i put myself and my child in dangour for the safety of my dog???? will you do it?????I am sure you wont

i asked either a way of training him por if there is something like wooden walls or whatever that i can put up that will divide my driveway from my yard in anyway

So Chill, stop jumping to conclusions and get yourself something real to do cos you have a bad comment on every post

Thanks doc and nina i will defnitly look into your advice as i am getting a new pup in two weeks and dont want her to do the same

Posted by: Chill | 2009-07-06

It' s your job as a dog-owner to keep your dogs safe. You cannot expect a dog to ' know'  what it must do or not do. When it comes to life-threatening matters, you cannot leave this to chance - so simply do not open the gate until the dog is secure so it cannot run out. The technicalities of training can come later.

My dogs don' t run out of the gate when I open it, because I take a lot of trouble to ensure that they can' t. I know it means my getting wet when it rains. Tough luck. I' m not willing to risk their lives merely to save myself some trouble.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Nina | 2009-07-06

In my experience huskies are extremely naughty and hard to teach. Best to try a dog school or just tie the dog up for the 3 min it will take you to open the gate, park your car and close the gate again. 3 min every time is better than losing another dog.

Reply to Nina

Sorry, i forgot to mention that my husky is now 1yr and 6months old

thank you