Question
Posted by: Alexis | 2011/07/25

Running on empty

Im a woman in my mid twenties who is seriously struggling to get through the day due to fatigue. My situation is as follows. Im a Forensic Med masters student with a typical 15 hour day a head of me throughout the week. The course im completing is not only mentally and emotionally exhausting but physically as well. To complicate matters, im also a swimmer who swims every morning before my day begins. Ive been a vegetarian since the age of 14. Ive always been able to remain healthy and balanced in terms of nutrition. However in the last couple of months my diet has suffered due to my increasing work load and pressured lifestyle. I offen skip meals. Please could you advice on any high protein diet supplements or vegetarian options which will give me the extra boost regarding getting through my day without my performance in or out the pool suffering. I am on a multivitamin - however i would prefer to obtain my primary vitamins and nutrients through ''natural'' means.

Dear Alexis
Goodness, with your schedule I am amazed that you don't pass out with exhaustion! You need to eat plenty of carbohydrates (a mixture of low-GI and high-GI carbs) all day long to boost your energy levels and to ensure that your glycogen stores in the liver and muscles are replenished after you have completed your exercise. Because you are also a vegetarian, I would recommend that you consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will have to assess your present dietary intake and your energy output, to see if you are eating sufficient carbs to provide you with enough fuel and to also check on other nutrients such as iron and vit B12 (despite the multivitamin). I don't know where you are studying, but if you are at one of the major universities, find out if they have a Sports Institute and make an appointment to discuss your diet with their sports dietitian. I know that Potchefstroom, Tukkies and UCT have such services available.
Get some professional help, otherwise you will not be able to give your best to your studies or your swimming.

2
Posted by: Kasandra | 2011/07/28

Alexis wow girl you must be exhausted.

I find Strawberry Soya Shake mixed With Berry Juice, Milk and Banana works great for a meal if you dont have time to eat.

Reply to Kasandra

Dear Alexis