Question
Posted by: Daniella | 2011/11/15

Running newbie

Hi Dr Tucker

I am a 30 year old female (overweight... 1.71m tall and 78kg''s heavy)

I have just started trying to jog / run. I have never been a sporty type but must admit that I have been enjoying it.

I try do 5km''s, of which I obviously don''t jog the entire way... I do more " recovery"  walking than jogging or running at the moment. I am trying to build myself up and tiem each 5km session to determine if I am progressing.

My questions are: How often should I do this, and how many " off"  days shoudl I allow myself for recovery as my shin area does get quite sensitive so I''m concerned that I may be over doing it?
Should I alternate between 5km''s and less maybe (like 3km''s every now and again?)

Any advise will be much appreciated.

Thanks Doc
Dani

Hi Daniella

It depends so much on what you're trying to achieve from your training. Given where you are in your training programme, I'd say every second day is good for now. Give yourself a day of recovery per day of running. If you feel up to it, of course, you can do 4 sessions a week, which means that you have one consecutive training day per week.

The shin pain is a symptom of possibly overdoing it, and so be mindful of this. This is something that happens because your body is not quite adapting to the stress, and that often needs you to reduce the load, either run slower, shorter, or less often. So that makes me thing more than you should do alternate days - one day on, one day off.

Be careful about timing each session - it creates the temptation to go too hard, to always want to improve, beat your previous best and that's a recipe for overdoing it! So I'd say only once a week, time it, the rest, just enjoy it and learn what your body is saying to you.

And yes, alternating distance is good too, especially to allow some recovery between longer days.

Ross

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011/11/27

Hi Daniella

Ross

Reply to fitnessdoc