Question
Posted by: chantal | 2010/08/19

running injury

hi there
i am a relatively new runner, followed the shape 12 week challenge. I am trying to keep it up as best as I can but don''t run as often as I would like and not been able to run a lot in this cold weather.
I always have a sore right hip after I run, but it goes away. During today''s run my hip got really sore, I did carry on though, and it lessened a bit after a while, but it''s quite sore now. I have taken brufen. It feels like the pain is right on the bone, What is this and should I rest more? It seems to be a recurrent thing though. can''t be shoes as they are still quite newish. Also can''t be overtraining because at most I get to run 3x a week between 5 and 8km
thanks

Hi Chantal

Difficult to diagnose, obviously, without a proper examination. Might be weakness of the hip flexor muscles causing some instability in the bone. It's probably inflammation, because it doesn't sound like it hurts during the run (or it didn't until this one). I would imagine the brufen works quite well. That said, I wouldn't stay on medicine too long, because it's only really dealing with the symptoms, and you need to figure out the source.

And the source is likely strength or flexibility. It could be a leg-length imbalance, hip flexor tightness, weakness, any number of things. I'd suggest you see someone about it, a doctor or physio, or a biokineticist and have them assess and identify the problem now. Otherwise you're right, it will be recurring and hold you back!

Ross

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/08/27

Hi Chantal

Ross

Reply to fitnessdoc