Posted by: Caroline | 2011-05-31

Running and headaches

I am currently training for a half marathon. I have found lately that I am experiencing bad headaches after my runs (running comfortably around 12kms). Thinking maybe it was mild dehydration, I am drinking a cup of water before a run, a few gulps in between if I can find it, and a good 750ml immediately after and then more through the day, but the headaches stubbornly stay. Any ideas what could be causing this, and how I can prevent them?

Hi Caroline

I doubt that it's dehydration - it's just not possible to get dehydrated in less than 2 or 3 hours, and unless it's incredibly hot. And if you are drinking a minimum of 1000ml, then it's not even likely that you're losing any weight at all.

So I'd say more likely it's blood pressure related (either high or low) or blood sugar. Not an easy one to solve, though, other than to look at what you eat before and make sure it's something,but not necessarily within the 45 to 60 minutes before you start. And to consider taking a disprin before, because it helps circulation. Then hopefully this is just a period, and it will pass in a few weeks and all will be normal again!