Posted by: Philani | 2009-02-25

Running &  wight gain

Hi Doc,

Something quite odd is happening to me. I started exercising 3 months ago to loose weight as I was already 90kgs and my healthy weight should be 75kgs. Up until 3/4 weks ago I lost about 10kgs, but then I started gaining 2.5kgs even though I' ve been running a minimum of a hour for at least 4 days a week.

I haven' t been running for a week and and dropped by the 2.5kgs. Is it possible that my running is causing me to gain weight?

HI Philani

No, I don't think so. It can sometimes happen that training causes weight gain, but I don't think that is responsible here, because you gained too much weight too quickly in that period. It's not possible to put on 2.5kg in so short a time and then lose it again. The only explanation is water - you either weighed yourself after drinking water or eating a meal, and then the second time without, or the scale was incorrect. We just don't see weight fluctuations that large in so short a time.

So I wouldn't worry about it, I think it's an anomaly, but a reminder also to be careful about how you weigh yourself - you can be misled by the numbers if you're not.