Question
Posted by: cc | 2010/02/16

running

hi there!! I have started running recently- and loving it of course!!! I want to know what kind of supplements must I take before a race (32/21km)?

Hi CC

None required. As long as your diet is good, you don't need supplements. In terms of the diet, the key is carbohydrate, becaus this is the body's main source of fuel during a run. Therefore, you need to make sure that you start these longer runs (32km) with a good store of carbs. That can be done by eating a diet that is high in carbs in the few days leading up to a race, and then making sure you either eat a good breakfast before the race (eat your normal breakfast - don't change the routine), or that you take in carbs during the race.

The key is probably during the race. Sugar is important, and you get this from Powerades, Cokes and also jelly babies. On longer runs, bananas and potatoes do the job too. It's important to top up throughout the event, maybe once every 20 minutes, so that you are never depleted.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/02/23

Hi CC

Reply to fitnessdoc