Posted by: Tim | 2009-02-03

I go to the gym 3 times a week  mondays, wednesdays, fridays where I do 10 minutes treadmill, 10 minutes x-trainer then 10 minutes on the rowing machine I then do half an hours weight training. I know that with weight training you will need a rest day after the weight training to let your muslces rest and grow is this the same with cardio because on the days im not in the gym I like to go for a 1.5 mile jog is this alright or like weight training will I need a rest day?

HI Tim

Not necessarily. It's not necessarily true for weight training either. That rule of one day on, one day off is a guideline that is safe and recommended for most people, but it's not cast in stone. So you can train on consecutive days, it's not necessarily bad, but it depends on the person. There are, for example, athletes who train twice a day every day of the week. Some even three times a day (the elites).

For you, with a 10 to 15 minute jog before training, there's probably very little risk in doing two consecutive days. If it was a 10 kilometer run, then it's another story, but that's short enough that you'll recover fine in between, so yes, you can train on consecutive days (just not on every day of the week - you still need a rest day once a week).