Question
Posted by: Nicole | 2008/09/30

Runnin with weights help definition?

Hello,

I would like to know if running with wrist bands (those ones with sand in) which are 0.5kg each help to define my arms while running or is it just a waste of time? I would like to be able to run and tone my arms at the same time?

Hi Nicole

They might help a little, but not a whole lot given which muscles you use for running. You'll find that your shoulders get tired from the carrying of the weights, and that's not really going to cause toning. You're better off buying some dumbbells for home and then AFTER your run, just do a small set of 3 sets of 12 reps with them - biceps, triceps, shoulder press etc. Having said that, running will cause some toning, because part of the toning process is weight loss,a nd that happens with running. So don't throw out the run, just look into specific exercises as well!