Question
Posted by: runner | 2008/09/10

runner

hi there, i am 23 , my height is 1.76, and i weigh 59kg s i run 5 days per week, 5-8.5 km' s dependant on what time i leave work, i have -|- sakki B Virus, otherwise known as Yuppie Flu, where i am constantly tired, this week, i have found, i am so , so tired, and it takes me almost 35 minutes, to run 5.8km' s???? i have wheat free rye bread, with peanut butter before i run, why would i be so tired, am i over doing it, or what can you recommend

thanks

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi Runner

I understand your frustration! It is really hard if you head tells you that you want to train, but your body does not want to respond. The tiredness is most probably from the viral infection and there is not much you can do to negate that, other than to make sure you get at least 8 hours sleep per night and eat a very balanced diet to improve your immune system. Eating well means about six meals per day where you always combine a low fat protein with a low GI carb and add 2 servings of fruit and 3 servings of veggies per day. It is imperative that you opt for very low GI carbohydrates as that will help balance your energy levels through the day and prevent dips – best options are lentils, chic peas, baked beans or any other legumes – also try brown rice mixed with lentils and sweet potato.

Lastly, consume a mixed carb drink with about 8-10g protein just before you train – this will give you immediate and slower release carbs to sustain you during your run. ALWAYS take another of these servings after your training to refuel you stores and get your energy levels back. There are various options on the market – talk to your local dischem rep – we have used glycopro from Evox.

Good luck! Hang in there.
Vanessa